Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My Quote.

Fire and Ice, Robert Frost:

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Awe, love that poem.

So, pretty much the origin of my quote was sparked from a walk with my dog during torrential rainfall, with but a single black umbrella separating me from being drenched.

My puppy - a three month old goldendoodle named Bear - trotted alongside me as I ranted to him of the impossibility of naming my main male characters. I also brought up the scene I wrote randomly last night which would probably happen at the climax of the novel which featured Alison and who I have lovingly dubbed "glamourboy" until I come up with a real name for him. Right now, it's Kyler, but who knows.

Anyways, it involved Alison becoming...magical. What type of magical, I'll leave it up to you to ponder. But I was thinking about how it would happen. Last night I wrote it as agonizingly painful, the magic searing through her veins and scorching her skin - literally making her flesh bubble from the heat. And then, it would cool and hit lower temperatures, making her freezing.

And as Bear and I walked down the street, the first two lines from Fire and Ice popped into my head, and as soon as I got home, I googled it for the rest of the poem. It's pretty, and I've always liked it, and who knows, I might be using it out of the context it's supposed to be in, but to me, it fits. It's about the end of the world, and Alison's human world is collapsing in on her in a fiery hell. It's about destruction with fire and ice; Alison will experience both.

-sighs- Maybe I'm way off, but right now, I don't care. I just need names. I have Kayla (the stereotypical human best friend), Alison (the boring, human heroine) and her shortened name Alise, and Priscilla (the pixie surrogate sister of "glamourboy"). Stupid girls, so easy to name. And Priscilla is a steam punk name. Very nice :)

I still need a snazzy exit line. Maybe I'll steal it from the kid’s books series Madison Finn.

Yours till the butter flies.

...no, maybe not.

May the force be with you.

1 comment:

  1. Kyler is awesome, pick it fo sho!
    But then you'd have to change Kayla's name...

    ReplyDelete